I ran a cross this short biography of Eleanor Holmes Norton today. I'm sure that most of you know that she's the delgate to the House of Representatives from our nation's capital, but there are a few things I didn't know, such as :
- As an ACLU attorney she represented anti-Vietnam War protestors and Ku Klux Klan members
- In 1968 Norton won the first case she argued before the U.S. Supreme Court, defending the right of the National States Rights Party, a white supremacist and anti-Semitic group
- She also went to court on behalf of Alabama's longtime segregationist Governor George Wallace
- Republican President Gerald Ford appointed Norton to a panel examining America's welfare system. Among the ideas this panel endorsed was a "limit on the length of time that those who can work are entitled to welfare benefits." (sound familiar?)
- Contrary to the wishes of a large majority of African-American parents in the District of Columbia, Eleanor Holmes Norton has been an outspoken opponent of school vouchers
The black leaders call Clarence Thomas, Condi Rice, Colin Powell and any other black Conservative a "sell-out", an "Uncle Tom, a "race traitor" for nothing more than being a Conservative.
Look at what this black woman has done and ask yourself why the "African-American Community" has never called Norton any of those things?
This woman has gone against the black leadership's positions more than all of the Conservative blacks combined.
She has defended real racists, as opposed to those that the Left creates out of whole cloth.
But the Left loves her because she mouths all of the correct slogans and supports all of the big issues, including tax hikes for social programs. With one exception:
- During her 1990 campaign it came to light that Norton and her husband had paid no D.C. income taxes between 1982 and 1989.
- Without statehood, as Norton has argued since becoming D.C.'s non-voting Delegate and proposed in a 2001 bill, the people of the District of Columbia have no representation and therefore should pay no taxes.
Surprise, surprise: she lives in Washington D.C.
In other words, she's a typical Liberal who thinks that these social programs should be paid for not by taxing her, but by "The Government". This woman, this delegate to the House, this tax-and-spend Liberal, is apparently too stupid to realize that it's not The Government that pays for things, it's individuals like you and me. She's just another Lefty who thinks that The Government is an endless source of money that should pay for whatever she, in her infinite wisdom, wants. But she, personally, shouldn't have to pay for any of it.
After all, she is of the Elite. She's not of the lowly Proletariat who were bred for no other reason than to pay taxes so that she could create Utopia! She shouldn't have to pay taxes! She's doing the 'hard' work of envisioning what this country should be!
It's no wonder that she can get away with defending the KKK. Just as Robert Byrd can get away with being an actual member of the KKK.
It doesn't matter whether you're black or white, unless you're black and Conservative. The whole race controversy in this country is nothing more than the Left making sure that there's always a lower class that they can rule. The whole "ism" (i.e. racism, sexism) thing that is propagated by the Left serves only that purpose (we'll get to "ism's" very soon). Communism needs a slave class.
All that matters to these Elitist liberals, the ones who constantly decry "class" in this society just as any good Marxist does, is whether you've clawed your way into the upper class of the Elite Liberal. As in the Soviet Union, Cuba, China or any other Leftist country, once you're there, the rules no longer apply to you.